Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Communication
A major part of life is communication. We have many ways in which we share information and more seem to appear all the time. Dr. Z. struggled to communicate while growing up (and still isn't!) because he couldn't form words audibly until 4th grade. Share your experiences, trials, and breakthroughs, trying to communicate with your participants. What are some ways we can try to become more effective at communication? Keep in mind your learners and where they are at developmentally compared to you! Hint: most of us use verbal communication only when sharing thoughts, directions, feelings, etc broadcast to others. What are some other ways we could communicate (and maybe more successful at getting our messages across?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My participant struggles a lot with communication. I will ask him a question and he will usually give me a one-word answer, an “I don’t know” or a yes or no answer. It can be hard to carry on a conversation with him because of how much he lacks in socializing. We have done a couple activities as a group to try and get the kids to interact with one another, and my student has a really hard time talking to other people. I will usually have to say “Ask so and so this question” and then he will timidly ask them. But one thing he does talk to me about is video games. We talk a lot about Mario kart and a few other games he plays. I have noticed that its when its something he enjoys he will talk about it a little more. Body language is another form of communication, you can tell a lot by how a person is showing those emotions. I can usually tell by his body language if he is enjoying an activity. If he is having fun, he will kind of bounce around excitedly and smile more than usual and an occasional giggle. If he isn’t all that interested, he will kind of look around the gym and won’t focus quite as much. Maybe a more successful way of getting the message across to these children is by visually showing them. It can be really hard to understand something when all you are using is words, and that’s something they already struggle with.
ReplyDelete–Chelsey Brown
I think that communication is such an important factor to consider when working with my participant. My participant has shown that she can communicate verbally what they want. When they have come to a situation where they do not want to communicate verbally the participant has chosen to ignore. In one situation my participant was ignoring my instruction to them so I held the participants hands and repeated the instruction. This helped tremendously because the participant was able to focus more on what the instruction was because they were able to focus on the words that were being said instead of all other distractions. I think that another way that we could communicate and be more successful is being clear and specific.-Yolanda Argüelles
ReplyDeleteS has no problem communicating how she feels. Her oral communication is hard to understand sometimes, but if you engage and listen closely you can understand what she is saying. Her body language is the easiest to read. When she is frustrated she stomps and becomes aggressive, and when she is happy she will clap and jump with joy! The biggest trial is to get her to comprehend what we are communicating to her. I'm going to become a more effective communicator by: getting on her level, speaking slowly and naturally, being persistent, calm, and patient with her. Just like it's hard for us to understand what she is saying sometimes, it's hard for her to understand what we are saying. We met S's WSU partner, Lydia, from two semesters ago. Lydia gave us some tips on communicating with S, and was really able to get through to her. Not only was this a breakthrough for Karli and me, but Lydia as well. She said that when she started CAPES with S she wasn't communicating at all. Our night when so smoothly! S has really progressed in the aquatic based portion, and we have organized how to keep her on task. We had no setbacks for the first time. Communication is key to getting everything to go as planned.
ReplyDelete-Demi Wikstrom
This week my CAPES participant was absent, in which I was sad I couldn't work with him this week. I did have the opportunity to assist some other classmates with their CAPES kids and that was an interesting experience. I actually learned a lot about communication because I kept getting frustrated with the fact that R wouldn't listen to either me or the other student because we weren't his normal teacher. It was hard to connect with him and learn quickly how to communicate with him. It made me miss C. Communication with C isn't easy, but I am learning how to do it better and better each time I am with him. The last week I was with C I learned that if I ask him to look me in the eyes when I explain what I want him to do he listens better. I also learned that if I demonstrate the tasks that I want him to do, he understands what is expected and he does it. He enjoys when I do the things with him too (and so do I). I am learning that communication with C is much more non-verbal than it is verbal. It is easier for him to communicate things to me that way, but it is harder for me to understand. I really have to pay attention to the way he is behaving to know what he is feeling and thinking. I hope that I get to see C next week, we will work on our communication! -Kylee Mahlstede
ReplyDeleteR doesn't really have an issue communicating verbally, but he does it in a way that is different than most. My CAPES student engages in echolalia and likes to use repetition. I will ask a question and he will repeat it but then immediately answer right after. Also he like to make different sounds with his voice when we are doing different activities. Sometimes I have trouble getting his attention especially in such a big place like the gym and this is a type of communication I could definitely improve on. There are many times I have to ask the question more than once before he responds. Maybe by getting eye level, getting closer, and making sure to have his full attention will all help to solve this problem. R also communicates by his movements and I can tell he is happy when he rocks back and forth as well as makes different noises that are high pitched. Another challenge I have with communication is whenever I ask R to choose between two things he has a hard time responding and mostly just answers yes. I can improve this issue by making sure to be clear in my question, pointing at the two options, and using simple words. Overall though, R is able to communicate extremely well both verbally and non-verbally. -Jesse Hover
ReplyDeleteC communicates just fine when it comes to something he doesn't like or want to do, but he becomes very easily distracted and doesn't express much of any emotion unless it's something he likes to do, such as basketball. His body language is very lackadaisical for the most part, but I have noticed with attending school the majority of the day he is very tired most nights and makes communication that much more challenging. I'm still learning to read his body language, as he doesn't speak much, even when asked a question. Keeping C away from commotion makes communication easier and he becomes more interactive with the isolation. He seems to like games and likes winning even better. Using the checklist he did become more verbal as he was interested in what we were doing next, to see how much was left until he received his reward. I think next week we will stick to close the same checklist, as it seemed to make him more attentive, verbal, and more goal oriented. -Lucas Huffman
ReplyDeleteCommunication is key in any relationship and when it comes to our CAPES kiddos it is certainly no different! Our CAPES kiddo S can communicate verbally and sometimes slurs and stutters but for the most part you can understand what she is saying. S is also very good with body language (and I think she prefers using it). You are definitely aware when she is happy and feeling successful (claps, smiles and gives high fives and hugs) or when she is frustrated (stomps her feet and crosses her arms, furrows her brow and grunts). She can be physical when she gets upset and that is when I can feel helpless. I can feel her frustrations and it is hard to help her calm back down. One way we have learned to get her attention again is to use visual cues. She isn't going to listen and "stop" when we ask but she will get still and focus on a face when you start to touch the corner of your eye and say "look" or touch your ear and say "listen". We are still learning but we have had little successes each and every week! It keeps getting better and better and we are beginning to understand the verbal and non-verbal cues our kiddo portrays. She is getting to know us and we are getting to know her and it's becoming more comfortable and we are all becoming more confident in how to communicate with each other. -Karli Plant
ReplyDeleteCommunication is difficult at times with me and D., sometimes I am not sure if he hears my instructions or not because he continues on with whatever he was doing before. I did find that when I was able to show D. exactly what the task was he would understand better than when I was just describing it to him. With the checklist that I made up for this week I found that my communication of activities planned went better than the week prior. I also have found that having an activity as a goal or reward upon the completion of the others was a significant motivator for D.
ReplyDeleteMy child can communicate about dinosaurs and bugs but she does have a hard time listening to me and communicating to why she is not listening or will not follow my directions. I can ask her a question about school or how her day was and she get side tracked very easily and continues talking about something that is not connected to the question I originally asked. Next week I will work on finding a different way to communicate with her that is easier for her to understand and is a way that will open up for her to communicate back with me. She is very fun and has a lot of great things to talk about but I would like to see it more directed to the activities that we are doing. I will have her voice what she would enjoy doing next time and work together to set goals and effectively talk about following directions.
ReplyDeleteShelbi Linsley
I had a big communication break through with C and his mom this week. I had been wanting to encourage her to give us some space, since C is always looking to see where she is, and hesitates to try new things until checking to see that mom is there. I encouraged her to attend the parent class that was offered this week, and she did! I wasn't sure if she would actually do it!
ReplyDeleteC struggled for the first few minutes, wanting to know where mom was. After telling him multiple times that she was in her own class and that it was fine, he finally stopped looking for her. He responded better to me than he has in the previous weeks, because he wasn't distracted by looking for her. He was quicker to follow directions, and was more focused on the task at hand. This was especially true in the pool. He was more engaged, and tried things I hadn't been able to get him to do previously.
I feel that we made huge strides this week, both in communication and trust. I feel really good about how things are going, and look forward to making more progress.
I told C's mom that he did really well, and seemed to have more confidence and independence this week. Hopefully that will continue in the weeks ahead.
--Megan Jensen
My participant is very verbal. He is very intelligent and tells me how it is. He also communicates with a lack of verbal communication. When I asked him if he wanted to go to the rock wall he got very quiet. He is scared of the rock wall. But for the most part L loves to talk to everyone. In fact I am often dragging him away from chatting with people so we have time to work on some skills! It's great! (:
ReplyDeleteOn Tuesday night I had the pleasure of working with B because S wasn’t there. It was interesting to me to spend time with a different student. Each of these kids are so unique. This was very evident while working with B. He communicated in several different ways. One way was by using body movement. When he wanted me to come and try to block him while playing basketball, he would use his hands. He would motion for me to come over to where he was at. I could also identify when he was having a good time by his smile and his laugh. We worked on him using language while playing basketball and in the pool. We would model what we would like him to do and he would respond with words and actions. In the pool in particular, we would ask him how many rings he wanted and then he would ask and count them out with us. We also played a please game at the end of the night and practiced using manners while passing a ball. I felt like it was successful way to communicate with him. He seemed to be enjoying it. That is what his body language was telling me. The other participant I work with is more vocal. I know with him that it is important to peak his interest with the right subject. I also think it is important to model and show pictures of what I would like him to do. I learned on Tuesday, that each participant communicates differently and it is up to me to pick up on the cues that they are delivering. Becky Montgomery
ReplyDeleteThe first child in my care is hard to communicate with. If they do choose to answer me it is with one word and it is with an easy question to answer such as, what color is this crayon? I am really at a loss as to know how to have better communication with this child and did not have the opportunity to work with them this past week because they were not at CAPES. I think it will take some careful observation on my part to see if this child is trying to communicate with me in a different way. The second child I work with has no problems communicating and is really fun to talk to.- Chelsea Goff
ReplyDeleteMy CAPES buddy does not communicate verbally too much. M likes to say Hi to everyone in the room but verbally does not do too much more than that. I found out last week in the pool that when M gets excited there are repeated hand and arm movement gestures. I was excited that M was telling me to continue to help her with a task because M enjoyed it so much. A couple of different ways I plan on encouraging communication with M are by saying repeatedly what objects are, what colors and shapes they are. I have found that when I do so, M starts to make noise following what I say. I think continuing to be very enthusiastic will also help encourage M to be more open to communicating with me. I am happy that I have been able to notice different ways that M is communicating with me because it makes it easier for me to know how M is doing throughout CAPES.
ReplyDeleteKelsi Tatton
My participant has a hard time communicating with others. He can count and say some words, but he struggles while trying to communicate his feeling with me. He tends to just make noises for what he wants to do or when things aren’t going his way. When he is happy he just laughs. We had an incident this past week where something happened while in the pool that made M upset. But because he couldn’t communicate what was wrong, I didn’t know what had happened and so I couldn’t help him calm down. We got out of the pool and sat on the side for a bit while M tried to calm down, but He still couldn’t communicate with me what was wrong, or what hurt. So his mom came down and tried to help me, but even she couldn’t figure it out either. I think communication is key while working with our CAPES participates, so next week I am going to try to get M to communicate how he feels without him just pointing or making noises.
ReplyDelete-Caitlin Wiggins
My participant is very verbal and communicates very well. He is very good at listening to what I have to say and following directions. The only time he has a hard time is when I ask him to tell me what he wants to do next. If I give him the option to choose an activity, he gets very quiet and does not know what to answer. I think it gives him a little bit of anxiety because he is not prepared. The good thing is, I have been prepared and have many things to do even if he is unsure what he would like to do. He functions better with me showing him exactly what I expect and exactly what I want him to work on next.
ReplyDeleteOne thing he struggles with is making eye contact when we speak to each other. I have tried to work on that with him but I think it makes him feel anxious. I am look forward to working on making him feel comfortable with it more.
-Courtney Brannon
this week d said yeah but it was kind wired and i am starting to know a few singes and his mom is starting to trust and know that he can do more than he say and shows he can- tyler martinez
ReplyDeleteThe more I spend time with "T" I catch on to things he says. I understand that when he wants to do something again because he likes it he says "more". So far I have only heard him say about four things that I can sort of understand, Grandma, yes, more, and no. Through his pointing I can get an idea of what he likes and doesn't like. The checklist we used helped a lot, we had the pictures of what we tried to accomplish and he understood them well. He can read and follow along very well; as the days go by hopefully verbal communication will increase. If not, we will still be able to communicate through pictures, body gestures and emotions.--David Polanco
ReplyDeleteCommunication is one of the main struggles with T. He is mostly non verbal and when he does talk you cannot understand him very well. He does a little bit of sign language which helps some. I took 2 years of sign language in High school but I don't know a whole lot. I can understand most of the things he is saying when does sign. I have found that if I point to an object when talking to T he listens and understands me better. He also does better when I make sure that he is looking straight me. That is hard to get him to do some times. The checklist helped a lot because he could see what he was supposed to do by the picture. He could tell you exactly what it was. I struggle with getting him to follow instructions when I tell him something to do. I try being firm with him but I can't quite reach him yet. I am definitely going to keep trying though! I am going to try using hand motions and gestures to see if that will help us communicate better. -Meggen Hodson
ReplyDeleteThis week at CAPES! neither one of my participants were there. I worked with B and used his partners check off list. One thing that I noticed with B, as well as with my kids also, is that he couldn't fully communicate back. So, I worked around that and would have B demonstrate to a small scale what I wanted him to do after I asked him if he understood and knew what I was asking him to do. I would also have him repeat things that we are doing as best as he could. I think that this is a good way to communicate with Ben and my other participant. Making sure they repeat things and truly understand what they are doing is helpful! I am loving CAPES! - Hailey Beesley
ReplyDeleteMy two CAPES participants were absent. I wish that they show up to spend a lot of time with them. I try to communicate with other participates of my classmates. It was good experience to share. S is communicate very effectively and never stop taking about himself. I was sad when He did not come on Tuesday. I just would like to do many brain activities to help him remember and do some puzzles . The second S that I have need more work with communication and follow direction. In the next weeks I will be able to meet what my kids need more and more so. I am excited to see them because I really missed them. - Zainab AL Fateel
ReplyDeleteMy CAPES participant is not very verbal at all. I have noticed her cover her ears when she feels overwhelmed or bothered by the noise. She walks fast or runs when she is excited. When we got to the balance beam she reached out her hand and said help. I could very much tell by the way she was resisting that she did not want to get in the pool that first night. This week as we where color matching frisbees to hula hoops, she named the colors as she threw them in. I was so happy for her! I can be better at watching her body language. That way I can know if she no longer feels safe or happy.
ReplyDeleteI wrote after the first week about how, it seemed to me, like D was unable to share his world, and his way of seeing the world, with anyone else. At the same time, I was acutely aware of how much there seemed to be going on within him. It was this juxtaposition that made me so excited to keep working with him, to try to figure out how to view the world as he sees it a little bit, and for him to do the same with us. This week was a huge step in that direction. We noticed that D was communicating. We started really paying attention and noticed that he was enthralled with the unknown. It started to seem like around every corner he was expecting something magnificent, and when that something didn't come, he seemed to forget about it quickly and look around the next corner instead. We realized this week that this young man possesses something extraordinarily valuable; curiosity, and a sense of adventure. Although his communication of this too us was perhaps more important, D also took a huge step in a different different direction. D has always been very quiet with us, hardly ever vocalizing at all. We have been told that he doesn't speak with words, at all. So, T and I were blown away when amidst some vocalizations, in response to a question D said "yes". Who knew that such an ordinary word could mark such an extraordinary occasion. This week D was communicating to us, in many ways, that he is capable of so much more than what people might think. I know that progress can ebb and flow, and it is possible that all this progress will be lost next week. I have to say though that I think we are starting to hear a voice coming out, not just a voice in words, but a voice in gestures, laughter, exuberance, and connection. A voice that desperately wants to be heard, and all I can say is D, we are all ears!
ReplyDeleteTim Owen
I think it is pretty easy for me to communicate with K. The only struggle I have is when she is really into an activity and i`m trying to talk to her either to do something else or so she can just talk to me, and she doesnt and goes back to her activity. Or sometimes she will be stubborn and wont listen to me about trying a new activity like standing on her own in the pool. Other than those couple circumstances, we communicate with each other pretty well. I think I will have to try and have her full attention when i`m talking to her. -Ellie Lyman
ReplyDeleteThere are a few different ways of communicating that seemed to be very effective with CAPES! participants. Using pictures (checklist), your hands, and facial expressions seem to work well with those who we are working with. It pays to be animated with our CAPES! kids because they really respond well to excitement and fun. Some more obvious way of communicating that I have found work well with my C are: making sure my face is level to his when talking with him, using words he understands, and making eye contact with him (even if he isn't looking at me). I know these seem obvious but it can be difficult for us to use words that a 5 year old understands, or bending down to their level when talking with them. I think also speaking clearly and loud enough for them to hear goes a long way. - Curtis Carlisle
ReplyDeleteCommunicating with A is a lot easier than I thought it would be. All though she has to wear a hearing aid my communication with her is a lot easier when she can hear me clearer. There were a couple of times where she forgot to wear her hearing aids and I had to be talking to her a little bit slower and louder. I can always tell when she doesn't understand what I'm saying to her because her eyes wander around while I'm talking to her. Other than that it is pretty easy to communicate with my participant. Her talking to me is just as easier because she is a talker!
ReplyDelete-Feliza Martineau
Communication with K has improved a lot! When I communicate with her I get on her level and make eye contact with her and she's been making more eye contact with me lately which is awesome! Having the visual aids such as the checklist lesson plan to show and talk what we are going to be doing for that day has made the communication easier and the night go smoother. Also by having the checklist K saw that if she completed her tasks then she got to ride the scooter as her reward.Having more than just the verbal communication has helped both K and I understand each other better.
ReplyDelete-Montana Perkins
I had a different participant than normal this last week. I was at a loss because I did not know how to communicate with the student on a level that he would understand. I used simple words, but it took several people having to explain what was happening in a simple way that he could understand. I found myself getting impatient with him as he did not seem to want to do anything that was planned. It made me realize part of the struggle he must go through in order to get his point across. I did notice that when I made eye contact with my participant and spoke in a little slower voice, he was more willing to do what I asked him to do. Helping him feel like what he was doing was of value made the experience even more important. There were several times while we were in the pool that I had to redirect his attention to something else which allowed him to refocus and pay better attention to me. I think it was difficult for him to be thrown in with several new people that he was not used to the way they communicated. We did not stick with the plan because I did not feel comfortable taking him rock climbing without knowing what his skills and communication levels were. I think I learned to be more patient and to repeat larger words in a more simple way. - Brittany King
ReplyDelete