Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Surprise!!!  Often in teaching its the unintended little surprises you experience during the learning process that mean the biggest things, keep you going during the "hard times", and make all the effort worth it.  For instance, I had a long discussion with a parent last night who praised and thanked us for CAPES! for 20 straight minutes, going on and on about the changes their child has experienced with just one year...interacting more at home without prompts, behaving better at school, learning about days and times to count down to the next time they come to CAPES!, and more!  (Congratulations...YOU are making these changes...not me or Dr. Williams ((We just get all the credit ;)!!!!)  The joy, appreciation, and "thank you" written all over her face and words makes all the effort of putting CAPES! together seem non-significant!  Explain a few surprises you have had while at CAPES! so far...about the child you work with and about yourself.

28 comments:

  1. The first day of CAPES my child did not want to really be with me. She kept wanting to go with her parents and did not seem too sure about being around everyone else. Two weeks ago I was assigned to work with another child and so I was not with my original child. Then last week when my child arrived she ran right over to me and was ready to go. Her parents later told me that she had a really hard time last week and wanted to know where I was. She does like me! Then yesterday her mom told me that she didn't want to go to school because she felt like she was getting a cold and so her mom told her if she was to sick to go to school then she was to sick to go to CAPES. The child quickly got ready for school and said that there was no way she was going to miss CAPES. All along I was thinking she didn't enjoy being at CAPES when in fact she has enjoyed it so much. My child is becoming a little more independent and not relying so much on her parents. So, it surprised me the progress we have made this far into the program and how much she learns each time we are together. -Shelbi Linsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entire CAPES! experience has been a surprise so far and I am sure it will continue to be! (and, I don't mean that in a bad way... :) ) Our kiddo S has surprised us left and right at her capabilities and intellect. She is confident and smart and knows what she wants. She can do a puzzle SO fast! (faster than me!) She remembers small details that are incredible like, for instance, she knows what lockers she had used each week and points them out to us. I have also been surprised at her strength. She is fast and strong and athletic. She can outrun us around the track and still have more energy than us both combined as her teachers :D! I will say though that it is good to hear some praise come from the parents and know that we can make a difference in these kiddos lives... especially when this past CAPES! was one of those "hard times". We have made great strides with our student S but we learned another hard lesson about the importance of structure and a schedule for someone with a disability like her. We had a setback but we will continue to work hard but I am glad to know that even if we have these hard weeks we can still be helping and teaching these wonderful kiddos. - Karli Plant

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been a few surprises that come to mind when working with B. When first meeting him out in the lobby and just seeing him get excited and yelling out my name was a great start to the day. Because I was gone the previous week I was really surprised at the progress he made just in 1 week I was gone. He did a lot better at following my directions and he also took the initiative on himself to practice kicking in the water and blowing bubbles. He also is getting better at saying please and thank you. It is great to see these changes in the children because it makes you feel like you are helping them and their parents. I hope that these things that we are teaching them in CAPES become life long habits. - Daniel Ricks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week with C was a completely different week then normal, he came excited and focused. We usually struggle with him keeping his attention, but this week not only did he rarely ever get off track, but he was excited to get everything done so he could play basketball of course. He seemed to be clicking on all cylinders and although he progressed in most areas, there were a few odd scenarios where he took a step back, but I don't see it being consistent. In the pool he wasn't nearly as hesitant as usual and we accomplished him retrieving a diving ring from the bottom of the pool instead of just the bottom step. He willingly worked on swimming techniques and is starting to trust me, as he's learning to float on his back. It's great to see such a great improvement in just a few short weeks, although minor to some, I'm proud that his willingness has done a complete 180 and I think the trust plays largely into that. -Lucas Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week I really missed working with C, because he was absent. I was assigned to work with some of the siblings instead, to give the parents the opportunity to attend a class. While it was fun, I missed doing all of the things I had planned out for C. I sure hope we will get to do them next week!
    I think my biggest surprise has been how quickly C has become comfortable with me. Last week that was very apparent, when he realized he didn't need mom to be there right in sight. I was unsure if that would ever happen, considering how resistant he was the first day we worked together.
    One thing that has NOT been a surprise for me is how much I am loving CAPES. I love making a plan for C each week, and trying to find ways to help him grow. I love seeing what an impact this program has on the kids and their families. I love seeing the honest disappointment on the students faces if they hear their kids will be absent that week. That tells me its having a big impact on us as well. CAPES is just amazing!
    Megan Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised at how much my student is opening up to me. When I first started working with him it was almost impossible to get an answer out of him. He was very shy and timid it almost seemed like, and now when I ask him something he will give me a response. I love seeing the progress these children are making, and in an environment that is so fun for them. They don’t always get to be surrounded by people like that, and to have that opportunity helps these children become who they really are. Its fun to see them interact with their peers and showing them the things they find really interesting. Where as the first week, they wouldn’t really make any form of conversation with anyone, including me. I hope I continue getting surprised with the success of my student. –Chelsey Brown

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first day with C this semester was a little challenging. In the pool he was panicked and once we were out of the pool doing land activities, he kept telling me, "I want to go home." I know it was his first ever time at CAPES! so it was challenging for him but it made me feel like I was doing a poor job as his buddy. Since that first day though, he has loved swimming, he likes talking to me, and he has not said once that he wants to go home. It was rewarding to see some of the work pay off; last week he started interacting with me like I was his friend. I felt myself actually start to care about him and now the progress he makes is just as exciting for me as it is for him. The first day he wouldn't put his head under water or float on his back. Now every time he puts his head under water or does something new, we get so excited and it reminds me that C can and will make a lot more progress in the psychomotor, cognitive, and affective domains. Seeing the smile on his face when he does something for the first time is priceless. It has been surprising for me to care about the progress C has been making. No longer am I taking this class just to get a grade and graduate, but CAPES! has helped me want to continue to build strong connections with those I am working with. -Curtis Carlisle

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hand bells I wanted were at CAPES this past time, so I was able to use them with my kids! Super fun and many surprises! Both my kids loved the bells and were so eager to play them. The best surprise was when my first kid rang each of the eight bells, just once each, and then proceeded to ring them in descending order. Wow! This child cannot communicate very easily, but they sure do understand some things rather quickly! - Chelsea Goff

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised that our participant wasn't interested in the training area we picked. He usually works well when there are fewer distractions. We took him to the racquetball court thinking that would be a fun time. Instead he was more interested in sitting down than trying to play a little game of racquetball. We even tried to turn it up a bit when we had him throwing the racquetballs at me. That worked once and then he lost interest. Hopefully next week we can get into that upper classroom again, he does well there and seems to get a little workout from all the running around that goes on there. On another note, he is getting better in the pool, his confidence underwater has surprised me a lot. - David A. Polanco

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the hardest things for me at first was that M does not really communicate verbally. The first day it was difficult for me to figure out how are we going to communicate because I didn't know how my buddy was communicating. In the last couple of weeks I have started to pick up on some of the signing that my buddy does and it is making the activities go much better. In the pool M makes the sign for 'more' when I reward her "big kicks" with a blast out of the water. M also raises both arms to show that it is getting tiring and needs a break. Figuring out how to communicate has been so helpful because I now have an understanding of what M is feeling during CAPES. This experience has helped me to better understand different ways of communication. I have not had the opportunity to work with a child who has a difficulty speaking so it has opened my eyes to how body language and sign language can step in for verbal communication. It has been fun and I am excited to keep learning more from this experience.
    Kelsi Tatton

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had several surprises while working with S at CAPES. The very first night, I was caught off guard that the activity he enjoyed the most was the one that he was least successful at. I think it provided a challenge for him and he liked it. Another surprise I was not expecting happened last week. We went to the gym to try out some of the different exercise equipment. S took initiative and asked a lot of questions about how some of the different machines worked. He even took it upon himself to see how the weights were adjusted on one of the machines and adjusted it accordingly. It also surprised me that he was ready to explore all of the equipment. He even set a time for himself on the treadmill. I was surprised that he liked changed the incline on the treadmill. Another thing that surprised me is that he is more willing to put part of his hair in the water. I still haven’t been able to get him to dunk his head completely. On Tuesday, I brought my swim gear in a Utah Jazz bag. I meant to show it to him, but forgot. I was surprised at the end of the night when he pointed it out to me. He loves the Jazz. Becky Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had surprises with both of my kids! A lot of the surprises were have to do with their behavior, and then what they are actually capable of. My first kid, S., is so smart. It's so amazing to me! Although he can't communicate with me, he knows how to tell me what he wants, what he doesn't want, and what he can do. My other kid, S., is so smart and vocal. I have known that from day one. The thing that surprised me was how his behavior could change so fast. All of the previous weeks, he was a very good listener and would do everything I asked. He never acted out. This last week, he was a totally different person! He got so distracted. He would argue with me among other things. It was really surprising to me! -Hailey Beesley

    ReplyDelete
  14. The surprises of working with C have been so rewarding. I am grateful I have had this opportunity to reflect on what surprises I have seen and what progress I've seen C make. He is such a wonderful kid. I feel like one of the biggest surprises happened the second week of CAPES where we made a connection and he would listen to me. He would look at me and respond to what I asked him to do. Other surprises that C provides is just how well developed he really is. He has the capability to do a LOT of things and he is very smart. Something that I want to help him be better at is simple communication and relating to me his feelings. I had an experience this week where something I had taught him clicked in his brain. He has had an obsession with animals lately so most of what we would do would be geared towards animals. When we were in the pool I was asking him to "float on his back like an otter". He had initially already been having a bad day so he was pretty sad but usually when I would ask him what his favorite animal was he would tell me. We would then do some sort of swimming technique following that animal style. This time when I asked him what his favorite animal was he said he didn't know.. That he didn't have one. A couple minutes later he told me his favorite animal that day was an otter. And so we continued to float on our backs like otters. He loved it. That activity became his choice not something that I wanted him to do. It was surprising to me to see him enjoy what I had planned and realized that in some way my technique with C was working.
    The little surprises really DO matter the most! They keep us going! And help us to never give up!
    -Kylee Mahlstede

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the biggest surprise for me so far, is how satisfying it is to see what most would consider small progress. A week ago D said the word yes, and we were blown away. This week we used some tools to try to draw out more language, and this time he let a doozy fly! We were very deliberately waiting to go to the pool until D got into his swim trunks on his own. He was starting to get frustrated and started vocalizing when finally he couldn't bear it in any more. With great labor but shocking clarity, he said "pool". I must not have hidden my surprise very well because he looked at my face and started giggling. There has been a surprise every week. When he wouldn't knock the bowling pins over because he was so proud of how carefully he had set them up when previously all he did was throw them. Like when he surprises himself by making a basket, or realizing that he can float in water. All of a sudden the "big" surprises I experience in the world at large, don't seem so incredible. The massive snow storms in New England, the continuing evolution of precarious alliances in the Middle East, the daily technological innovations that change the face of our civilization every day. All of these things seem a little less impressive now and seeing these "little" surprises are what I've come to look forward to all week.

    Tim Owen

    ReplyDelete
  16. There have been so many surprises while at CAPES and working with M! M surprises me with a new skill that he has every single week! This week we were having races on the track with another CAPES participant, and M decided to run off. But as soon as he got to the letters on the wall he stopped almost immediately and identified the letters. I would point to a letter and he could tell me exactly which letter it was! We did this for about ten minutes going around to all the letters and spelling out the words! I think that it is so awesome that even though M can't communicate very well, he can still identify the letters of the alphabet! He surprises me every week with his many abilities and how smart he is! I have also been surprised with myself and what I have helped M accomplish. Even though it has only been 4 weeks. -Caitlin Wiggins

    ReplyDelete
  17. Working with R has been one of the most amazing experiences. Every week he makes huge strides whether it's swimming, throwing, or even communication and it is super surprising. One thing I have noticed is how much better he has gotten in the pool.The first week he wouldn't let go of me and didn't want to do much. Now he is swimming from one side to the other all by himself. He also didn't ever want to kick while in the pool, but now he is kicking harder each week. Probably one of the best surprises I got from R was when I asked him who his friends were and he said that I was one. It made me realize that I'm not just his teacher but his friend, and that the interaction we have each week is so important to him. I have been really surprised with myself and how I have been able to make such a connection with R. I had never really had much experience with children with disabilities, but it has been so natural. Jesse Hover

    ReplyDelete
  18. The surprises of working with S on Tuesday at CAPES were amazing to discover. I prefer to play basketball with him at the beginning because he likes to play basketball more often. We were drawing and paining together. I encourage him to do some addition numbers and when he win, he will get a gift from me. He was excited to do all numbers that I gave him to do and He win. I got surprised that He is good at math. He can learn a lot of things that has fun with it. I hope that he will take advantage of what we are doing. -Zainab AL Fateel

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the most surprising things for me about working with my student is how well I am able to understand her even though she is not very verbal. She practically sprints when she is excited and freezes up when she is overwhelmed. I am also surprised of how comfortable we have gotten with each other. At first I was pretty anxious, but this week we flowed really well. I think those two things go hand in hand. If we where not comfortable with each other she wouldn't be able to communicate with me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have experienced multiple surprises in CAPES. This week we were surprised by a schedule change, this routine S is not used to changed her behavior, making it difficult for her to follow directions. I have been surprised my the intellect and detail orient she has. Watching her write sentences and do puzzles was a big surprise! She has both fine and gross motor skills, and surprises us with a new skill everyday! I'm surprised about how optimistic I am. If one this goes wrong, I promise myself next time will go better. -Demi Wikstrom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something that has really surprised me so far is that I really LOVE CAPES! I was so scared at first before we started and I did not think it would be so rewarding. I am surprised with how much I have learned and how much these little kidos touch my heart.
    It has been really fun to see what my CAPES buddy is capable of and how much progress he has made. Something that has surprised me is how good he is with numbers. He can add, multiply, subtract andy numbers you ask him too. He loves to count change and do anything that has to do with math. This surprised me because he is at such a high level for only being in first grade!! I have been able to learn from him a lot and I can't wait to see what other things we encounter together.
    -Courtney Brannon

    ReplyDelete
  22. So far working with CAPES! I've only had a couple of surprises. I was mainly surprised on how much A has interacted with others and how much she's improved with her swimming! Her aunt has even noticed it. I'm also surprised how much this has taught me so much. When I first started working with A she barely even talked with me, now she tells me jokes and is very comfortable to talk to me! CAPES! has taught me so much and I now always look forward to Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. While working with D. I have been surprised by his ability to swim. His parents both told me that he was not very good at it and wanted me to work with him on basic swimming stokes and holding his head under the water. The first day in the water he was very timid and would barely put his head in the water, this, however only lasted a short time. By day two he was diving for rings and swimming from side to side with barely any assistance from me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Last Tuesday was one of the best so far for many reasons. T finally acted like he understood and was enjoying the activities we had planned. My favorite was when we were practicing kicking the ball and he just started laughing and clapping. He was so happy. He also didn't throw any fits at all. He was very good at listening and really trying to do the things we had planned. One thing for me was when T came up to me and gave me a big hug and said thank you. I definitely didn't see it coming but it made my whole day. Seeing him improve makes me realize why I really want to be a teacher.
    Meggen Hodson

    ReplyDelete
  25. The surprises that I have experienced from CAPES! started from day 1. K was shy and wanted to be held while in the water, but now she likes to be independent with the water noodle which was amazing to see! The second day of CAPES! Was pretty tough but she came back and was great at transitioning from each activity and seeing that improvement is what it's all about. I can't wait for Tuesday to come!
    -Montana Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  26. The one thing that has absolutely made my entire day and even thinking back on it makes me smile and happy, was that a couple weeks ago i think it was, i was like 10 minutes late because of something that happened, but as soon as i ran in the gym and looked for K, i saw her sitting in another group of kids and she looked back at me and said my name and had the biggest smile on her face! Seriously, this made my whole life! and the fact that she always says "Bye Ellie!" and gives me a hug when she leaves. -Ellie Lyman

    ReplyDelete
  27. Some of the surprises I have encountered while at CAPES has been some lesson plan scheduling when things haven't worked out. B wanted to join dance, which I wasn't planning on, but it was an easy shift to make. I also had a time where B was sick and I worked with two other mentors and students, J and M. J and M have more severe disabilities than B, and so it was interesting to not only work with one, but also have the opportunity to work with two other students than B. Each of them have different disabilities and different personalities. It was interesting to realize I had to approach each student in different ways than B and from each other. I feel like this surprise gave me some experience to prepare me for different children I will have in my classroom with different disabilities. I learned a lot from the other mentors and I felt communication was key in knowing what to do to help each student. Being flexible and trying different strategies also helped as well.
    Madison Gamble

    ReplyDelete