Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Future Environments and Functional Skills

So often we forget that our students' lives do not end with our classroom/gym. It is our responsibility to prepare them for environments beyond the current one. What have you done this semester with your CAPES! students that takes them beyond the gym and the classroom? What skills have you taught that will prepare them for their future as contributing members of our society? What functional skills have you taught them that will impact them for a lifetime?

29 comments:

  1. I have thought often on this idea that there is more beyond just CAPES for C's life. I have hoped that I could teach him simple skills that will carry him through more difficult ones as he grows older. I have mainly tried focusing on communication. He struggles to understand what questions mean and how to properly respond to them. It seems that he has fallen into routine in the past by always reponding with "yes". I have tried teaching him to listen to me when I talk by asking him to "look" at me. And then I model the answer for him so that he can learn what I am asking. A couple weeks ago we worked on learning how to say how old he was. If C isn't interested in what we re dong he will quickly forget what he learned. He won't retain the information. That has been hard because I have had to learn how to implement what he loves into our lessons so that he enjoys and pays more attention. I wasn't able to work with C this week because he didn't show up but I did get to work with some other wonderful CAPES students. It was a good experience. I have gained so much admiration for the parents of these children. I hope that the simple improvements C has made in his communication will continue to grow and expand.
    -Kylee Mahlstede

    ReplyDelete
  2. These questions are so important to reflect upon as we near the end of our CAPES program. Something that I hope to have ignited within J is the power to continue going when times get rough. It is just like the quote, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going". I constantly encourage J that he is strong enough and able to complete the task at hand. For example, last night we did two activities that I knew J did not particularly, for enjoy because he could not perform them as well as other activities. I had him go on the cycling machine for five minutes, and also jump rope for five minutes. ( I have learned that if I do not give J an exact time limit, he will not complete the task. Having the time stated on our to-do list and having a visible stopwatch helps immensely!) He grew tired of cycling, and he had trouble getting both feet off the ground to jump over the rope, but with encouragement, J was able to succeed at both activities. I hope that he digs deep in any situation he faces in the future. Whether it is in the classroom setting or at home, I hope he fights to complete the task with the same grit and determination that he used last night. On top of this, I hope J has cultivated a sense of gratification for people and things around him. I make sure that J displays polite manners. With respect and gratification alone, J will be able to go far in life. Sometimes a simple smile and "thank you" can take an individual far. J has a heart of gold, and I am assured that if he applies the kindness already instilled within him, he will have the respect of all around him. -Christina Chow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently tried giving C more freedom to choose some the activities we do. I have tried making him become more and more of an independent learner. In the swimming pool, I let him make more decisions about where we wants to swim. I have learned that C becomes frustrated with me trying to control every move he takes. I obviously don't let him do whatever he wants all the time, but I have recently tried to give him more control in the decision making process. I think one of the goals of CAPES! is trying to get all of these kids become more independent and self-reliant. All of the skills we teach and practice with them enable them to improve their lives by becoming more independent. I know C is still young and has a long way to go till complete independence, I am starting now to let him make some decisions that help him control his life.I hope C as become a better communicator, swimmer, jumper, leaper, runner, etc. by coming to CAPES!. I hope by learning those skills, he will have the confidence to acquire more skills that will help him become even more independent.- Curtis Carlisle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some skills Karli and I have worked with with S that goes beyond the classroom would be communicating, following directions, and teamwork. We have been using the bells with Chelsea and R, which has taught her great teamwork. The first experience with it was so exciting because we hadn't yet successfully worked in a team. This Tuesday S communicated to us through writing and reading that she did not want to play with the bells. She has also progressed through using her words. This will help her socialize outside of school and in the future. S was able to successfully climb the rock wall with out direction. All other times she would get fixated on the climbing shoes and wouldn't comply. She has built confidence and patient. I hope she continues to grow and develop socially, and continues going to CAPES!
    -Demi Wikstrom

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have tried very hard to instill social skills with our student S. Instead of her reverting to physical aggression we have really emphasized the correct social behavior and the consequences of how we behave/act. Her communication has triple folded and we have been very pleased to see S's progress! It's amazing, in fact! S still will try to pull a fast one on us but has learned that if she doesn't communicate what she wants in the proper way she is not going to get what she wants, and it is great to see her following directions and displaying proper behavior(s)! It has also been terrific to see her teamwork skills grow (playing bells, house, soccer, board games). Learning how to take turns and have the necessary patience as it relate to her peers will be of great importance in S's future. She has gone from full blown tantrums (first couple of weeks) to complying and showing her frustrations in the proper ways (last few weeks). She will use her words, body language, and written word to let us know what she is thinking and feeling. It has been an amazing experience and I hope S continues in her progress because she is one terrific and smart kiddo. :D -Karli Plant

    ReplyDelete
  6. With S I have been trying the past few times to teach him to tie his shoes. This has not been easy, and I haven’t succeeded yet, but I know it is something that he is highly interested in. When we played catch a few weeks ago, he kept touching the ties on his mitt and even untied a few of the knots. With his shoes, he is continually tightening the laces. We will continue to work on it this next week. In the water, he has struggled to get wet. He doesn’t like to get his face or hair wet. Each week he has met new challenges with this, and he has accomplished them. In this, I hope that he has learned that he is capable of achieving goals. Another instance in the water that has been fun to watch the last two weeks has dealt with splashing. I explained to S that when someone splashes you, they are trying to play with you. As a result, now when someone splashes him, I remind him of this idea. Most times, he will engage in the play and splash back. Last time, I saw him even initiate the splashing. I know that teaching a kid to splash back isn’t that big of a deal and often times is discouraged, but I feel it has helped him grow socially. I also think he has learned to communicate more with people he doesn’t know. When he started, he was extremely shy towards me. When I brought my son last week, he was talking a great deal. He even asked if my son would be back next week. It was fun for the two to compare their commonalities like favorite color (yellow), both sophmores in High school, and age. S was excited that he was older by 5 ½ weeks. He also made sure that my son knew that his team beat my son’s team at baseball. I had to act as a mediator between the conversation, but I hope that S will continue to communicate with others more. He has also gotten better at looking up at me while in the program. This is definitely something that will help him. Becky Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has made me really think a lot about how much of an effect I can have on just one person’s life. They are showing me that this program goes further than just doing something fun and enjoyable. I have learned how to teach them a few important skills that will hopefully help them throughout the rest of the life. One skill in particular that I have been really working hard with, is getting him to socialize with other kids and being able to express his feelings. He has a hard time saying what he wants other than a shrug of his shoulders. So for him to be able to communicate with others outside this program would help him in his life after CAPES!
    -Chelsey Brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since working with C I have noticed he's been able to stay focused much more consistent as long as he's not tempted, aka don't go in the gym at all, and with that he's able to accomplish a lot more tasks in a very little amount of time. I believe ever since incorporating the checklist with the understanding that the reward is basketball, it has made C much more goal oriented and created a better understanding that just because he wants something doesn't mean he can have it, but that he'll have to work for it. I'm hoping that I've impacted C in the areas of setting goals achievable goals and that there are steps or a process you must complete and to do it right the first time and everything will work out in the end. ~Lucas Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some things that I have done with my participant in CAPES is working on fine and gross motor skills and we have especially work on group games to help with her social skills. I think that working with my participant with social skills helps them all aspects of them becoming contributing member of our society. Working with my participant in CAPES I have been able to build a relationship and this has helped on working with there skills. Yolanda Argüelles

    ReplyDelete
  10. My child has anxiety and some difficulty with socializing with others. Through the last couple weeks we have worked on socializing and communication with others. We have also focused on teamwork and confidence in our opinions and abilities. These will be beneficial skills because you need all of them in the work field and college field. Not only in those places but to be an all around better person you need these skills. She has come a long way and will definitely flourish out in the world when she grows up. -Shelbi Linsley

    ReplyDelete
  11. For my first child was fun because I communicate with him as my friend. We have good time with each other and he likes to talk while I am listing to him. I gave him the opportunity to express his feelings and opinions about every thing. For my second child I communicate with him as my little child even if I am just mom to be. I taught him how to say sorry when he did something wrong and to say thank you for people who work with. I always encourage him when he achieve something. I think that will help both of them to prepare with good social skills for a perfect future and impact their lifetime. I am more than happy for being work with those nice kids -Zainab AL Fateel

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have helped D see that people dont have to make his decisions for him. he can choose where he wants to go and do what he wants to do. i feel like we have shown him what the world is about and how people should treat them him. how to show people what they would with out words if they cant talk so they can do normal everyday things like order food or go to the gas station and even go as far as they want in school and be able to get a job and show people that they can show people how normal they are and dont have to be different -tyler martinez

    ReplyDelete
  13. When K and I first met there was hardly any communication going on and extreme emotional outbursts. Now K communicates quite well with me and others, she also has not had an emotional outburst for awhile and is willing to give anything a try! We have even gotten to the point where she tries to tie her shoe and swim by herself instead of clinging to me the whole time. So I believe that gives her a sense of independence which is great!
    -Montana Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that I have taught my kids how to get along better with their peers by taking turns when playing a game. That following directions is a good and necessary thing. I hope they have learned to be more creative and to try new things because you never know what you may be good at or what can bring you so much joy. I also hope that they have learned what it means to be nice and friendly to others even if you don't know them that well. My biggest hope is that they have learned that even though they may have struggles or be different from their peers, that they are smart, talented, and quite capable of learning new things.-Chelsea Goff

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope I have helped her prepare for the future in the real world. I try to do activities with her that aren't only fun but she learns something. We sorted objects into shapes and sizes. We also played a game where we hopped to different numbers. At the first of the semester she wouldn't even get in the pool and now she loves it so I hope I helped her get out of her comfort zone a little. - Stephanie George

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are two specific things that I think I have helped R with that will prepare him for his future and success in every day life. The first is, each week I always try to have him have an interaction with one of the kids from our group. In doing this, he is able to practice his social skills which are very important for the future. Secondly, one week we worked specifically on counting change. I think this is so important because it will allow him to be dependent later on in life where he can buy things on his own. -Jesse Hover

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have worked on counting and colors with T. We would have him pick a color and run to that color of cone. We also would have the cones in groups of different numbers and then have him toss the ring at the number we said. We have also really worked with T on following directions and making eye contact when talking. He is doing quite a bit better with both. I love when he does something new and starts smiling because he knew he did it. I hope to have helped him learn that he can do all sorts of things. There have been times when he didn't want to do something we planned or acted a little scared and after he tried it he seemed to like it.
    Meggen Hodson

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so sad I had to miss CAPES this week. Being sick is no fun. I am so excited to be back at it this week, even though it's our last week before graduation. This semester has gone by too fast!
    During my time working with C, I have tried to incorporate real world learning into our activities. One example of this is was using the maps of the building to find where we were going for our activity. This is an important skill to learn, and I hope it helps him somewhere down the road. I have also tried to work on helping him be less intimidated to walk through a crowd. This is something C really struggles with, and though we have had our setbacks, overall I think he has improved in this area.
    The last thing we have really tried to work on is one on one communication, and how to stay on a topic, instead of just spurting out whatever is in our mind. While there has been small amounts of progress, it is still progress, and I am so excited where C will get as he continues to have opportunities to work on it. I just wish we had more time!!
    --Megan Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of the first skills I really started working on was making eye contact. I feel that he has improved on this skill so much and it will be a great one to have. For any type of communication, eye contact has a huge impact.
    This week I was able to experience something really great! This whole time we have been doing this program I have been trying to get B to try the rock wall. I know that heights is his biggest fear and I really wanted him to just give it a shot. He would only do the small one for the longest time, but this week I finally convinced him to get harnessed in and try the big one. After a few short minutes, he was already at the top and loved every minute. I could not believe that I helped B conquer his fear that night. This showed me that he can do anything he will set his mind too. I saw that he realized that things will not always be easy but the outcome is always great if you work hard. Such a proud moment for me and definitely my favorite day of CAPES! so far.
    -Courtney Brannon

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the biggest thing holding D back from becoming more self reliant is his impulse to believe he cannot do things. We became accustomed after a couple of sessions to a look that D gives when asked to do something that for him, is a little bit difficult. It is a very convincing look and if you didn't know better you would say that what the look was communicating was accurate: that he needed help and was incapable of doing what you were asking. We have discovered over the past weeks that this look is temporary. For whatever reason, D's first impulse is to get other people to do everything for him. What he has shown us over the past couple of weeks is that he is far more capable than he would have us believe. This week he did things that seemed impossible the first week. These were things that have real world implications like dressing himself, following directions, and using a graphic scheduler without help. As we wind down towards the final days of Capes, I am more hopeful than ever that as D gains mastery of more and more life skills, his impulse to defer to others for help will change as well.
    -Tim Owen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some activities I have worked on with K is getting out of her comfort zone and trying new things. Also listening and not being stubborn and me giving into it because of her cuteness. I think this can help her in life by being able to go out and try new things. It will be scary at first obviously but she will learn that it is okay and that she will come to love it. -Ellie Lyman

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have tried really hard to help M with skills that he can use beyond CAPES! One of those skills that we work on frequently is his social skills. M does not communicate very well, and often he will just gesture to what he wants, or something that he wants to do. But I have been working with him to use what little works he has to communicate with me, instead of just motioning to me what he wants. So far he has been doing very well at it, although there are times when I do have to remind him to use his words. Another skill that we have been working on is taking turns. M doesn’t quite get the concept of letting other people do things before he gets to. For example, M wanted to climb on a particular spot on the rock wall, but couldn’t because another person was there. He wasn’t too happy about it because he wanted to do it right then and there. So I had to explain to him that we need to wait our turn. I have been working with him on this for a few weeks now, and he is doing a lot better with it! M has come a long way from when we started this semester and I am really proud of him! -Caitlin Wiggins

    ReplyDelete
  23. The biggest thing that I have done with both of my students is communication and listening to instructions. With S.D., he doesn't talk very much. So, the biggest thing is to get him to say the words that he does know, or the sign language that he does know. He is getting so much better at following instructions. He knows what I am looking for when I ask him to do something. He also knows that if he wants something, he has to sign please or else I am not going to give it to him. He has also become more friendly and more willing to try new things. With S.L., I have tried to teach him to better the skills that he already knows, and to not give up. There have been many times when he either thinks he can't do something, or he simply doesn't think he needs to. I have tried to teach him that he can do anything he wants, and that even though he may be good at something, there is always still room for improvement. -Hailey Beesley

    ReplyDelete
  24. What I try to work on every week with L is communication and following directions. With communication, I try to keep eye contact and help him to try and keep contact. And with following directions, L has a hard time staying focused so for him to follow directions directly and efficiently is a huge deal! It's awesome to see improvement from week to week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have worked with my student on communication and on knowing he is of value. I have tried to help him see what he good at can really impact his dreams. We talk about family and the importance of respect. We have worked on using a voice appropriate for the social context that we are in.I have tried to teach B. that physical problems should not stop him from dreaming big. He has realized that he is capable of so much more than he gives himself credit for.--- Brittany King

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have worked pretty hard with A about her skills to memorize directions and remember what she has been told. I've given her many tasks in the pool/gym asking her what she should do next after a certain step. There has been many times where I had to remind her what I had asked her to do, but when she did remember them I would reward her with something she wanted to do that night. I have been told by her grandparents that was one main thing they wanted me to work on with her. It also helps when I wear a speaker to communicate with her because she struggles with hearing from far away. I also encouraged her to use her imagination all the time, because I know for a fact that she has a broad imagination and is very creative like that. Its still an improvement, but she has been doing so well with it!
    -Feliza Martineau

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have worked on counting and colors with T. He seems to know a lot when it comes to reading and counting. We have been trying to incorporate these two into our activities with him. He is a bright boy that needs time to get used to any situation. He remembers what activities we have done in the past and tries to play them again. To me, this shows that he is learning a few things from our time at CAPES. David Polanco

    ReplyDelete
  28. During CAPES! I have helped my child with some problems in her balance. I was able to see the progress the last CAPES! day. The first day that she came in she would scoot along the balance beam sideways, last week she actually walked with her feet forward, one foot in-front of the other, and held only one of my hands as she did so. I was so excited. Working on better balance was her parents main goal for CAPES! and I think that I was help out a little bit with that. One thing that I think indirectly was taught during our time was putting in hard work can give you some rewards. By the end of our CAPES! session my kiddo would work hard at the things that I asked and when she accomplished them and she knew she could do one of her favorite things, she would brighten up. My favorite times when she accomplished a task were when she would finish and start clapping immediately because she was proud of herself.
    -Kelsi Tatton

    ReplyDelete
  29. At CAPES! K and I have been working on communication and teamwork. We have done a lot of things as a group of students and she has come to love that. Being able to communicate will make a huge difference in her life. It was amazing to see this week as K floated on her back for the first time. When she showed her mom, it was an amazing moment. K has really grown this semester seeing that she can do things that she never thought she could do. Seeing her proud of herself is the most rewarding thing ever.
    - Sarah England

    ReplyDelete