"He Can Be Taught"
-Genie from Aladdin
Learning can be defined as "the relatively permanent changes in behavior". One major aspect of CAPES! is to help children with disabilities learn physical, cognitive, social, emotional, and behavioral skills. The other major aspect of CAPES! is to help WSU students learn about themselves and to learn about learners with disabilities. After 6 weeks of CAPES!: 1) what has the child you have been working with learned?; 2) what do they still need to learn?; 3) what have you learned?; and 4) what do you still need learn?
1) Our kiddo S has learned to work better with others, how to play songs with bells, how to share and include others, how to plug her nose before going under water, how to float on her back, and that as her teachers she can't always manipulate us the way she wants, ha! 2) S still struggles with following directions and staying on task. We are diligently working each week AND we have seen improvement but their is still much progress to be made. She also is struggling with appropriate behavioral skills and controlling her emotions; we want her communicating what she is feeling, or what she wants, without physical aggression. 3) I have learned that patience is key with any kiddo and that our kids in CAPES! need and deserve the love and time we can give them. It is not always easy but it is definitely worth it. 4) I still need to learn what I have "learned"... patience. I know that progress doesn't happen overnight but I still get discouraged with how well I am doing. I want our kiddo S to succeed in life and I need the patience to help her learn the social skills to accomplish that. -Karli Plant
ReplyDeleteI think that the child I have been working with has learned even though they might not like working in groups that working in groups can be a fun experience. I think that my participant needs to learn that CAPES is not just time to do whatever they want instead CAPES is a structured environment designed to have organized activities that will help them. In CAPES I have been able to learn a lot about my participants disability. I still learning with my participant the patients is important for both of us to have.Yolanda Argüelles
ReplyDeleteC has learned a good amount through these first 5-6 weeks of class. First, he has recently learned to swim without me holding him. He swims with a noodle which is a big deal considering where he was at the first week of class. It gave his mom tears watching him swim without my assistance. He enjoys putting his head under water which is another new skill he has learned. He has also learned to communicate more often with me and other students. C still needs to learn how to strike objects. He is still working on improving his hand-eye coordination. There are some other skills like catching and kicking that he needs helping improving upon. I've learned a lot about helping C achieve goals. I have learned that in order to get C motivated and concentrated, I have to give him rewards (check-list). I've also learned that it requires a lot of patience and enthusiasm to be an Adaptive PE teacher. Lastly, I need to learn to be strict when C gets off task. C rarely gets off task but when he does I need to learn how to make him understand what the consequences are of acting that way. I really enjoy working with C; we have become pals. I hope these last 4 weeks will help me learn even more.- Curtis Carlisle
ReplyDeleteOne of the main things I have learned during this process is tempering expectations. Our participant has missed half of the Capes sessions so far including the last two weeks in a row. After the last time he was in, we were so encouraged by his burgeoning use of language that we could hardly wait to work with him the next week. When he didn't show up the next week, I was disappointed. When he didn't show up the next week I was doubly disappointed Then, I realized, this isn't about me. Being attached to outcomes, even if the outcome is nothing more than "our participant will show up" is not part of what we're doing here. Working with children in any setting entails ebbs and flows in their development and sometimes, even their participation. D's absence has allowed me to work with four different participants and five different WSU students. The revelatory part of the experience has been how much I've enjoyed each week. Although each participant has an entirely different personality, many of the challenges and strategies for working with them have been similar. I have immensely enjoyed getting to know each of them and partnering with each WSU student. Each week I have walked away having learned something new and having realized a seemingly endless amount of new things I want to learn. While I certainly hope that D shows up next time, I have learned that I love what we do and who we work with at capes, and look forward to a new set of challenges each week, no matter who shows up.
ReplyDelete-Tim Owen
After the 6 weeks or working with my student, he has learned to open up a little more. He is way more open with me now than he was from the beginning, and he is also interacting with his peers a little more. He still needs to learn how to ask for things. He very rarely will say anything he wants or needs and so I am working hard to get him to start telling me what his expectations are. I have learned that working with a child with a disability can be very hard and overwhelming, but it has taught me a lot of patience. I still need to learn how to deal with all the problems each type of disability has. I am around a couple of kids during CAPES! So trying to figure out how I would help those specific children is something else I could work on. -Chelsey Brown
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to believe that 6 weeks of CAPES has already come and passed. I really feel that my relationship with C has gotten so much stronger. I feel that each week we spend with each other he trusts me more. He has begun to open up to me and learn how to communicate. I am learning how he focuses on things or his incapability to focus on things. This helps me to bring back his attention to what we are doing. C has learned how to better swim with his arms and his legs at the same time. He has learned to persist until he succeeds. He has also learned to listen better to instruction. None of these skills are perfected but they have all improved. Something that C still needs to learn is how to communicate his feelings and answer questions. His ability to communicate with me has improved but he still doesn't have an understanding of emotions and when they are appropriate. He also doesn't know how to respond to a question correctly. I have learned to never give up and to always recognize the baby steps he makes. I have learned that each person with a disability is individual and needs individual instruction. I have to learn how to plan lessons that meet his needs. That is hard to do and something I am constantly trying to be better at. I am trying to learn how to come up with activities that will target his troublesome areas. It has been a really good learning experience for me and has taught me how awesome children with disabilities are! -Kylee Mahlstede
ReplyDelete1) S has learned so much! How to plug her nose and hold her breath to go under water, doggie paddle to the deep end, and float on her back (with some help.) She has also learned how to work with others. The first few weeks of CAPES there was no way she would be able to do a group activity, but now we are able to play songs with the bells with Chelsea and R! She has also learned that she can't manipulate us! 2) S still needs to learn how to communicate, express and control her emotions, social skills, and staying on task. 3) I have learned that I can't get a bad night get to me, there will be good days and bad days, and many factors can be part of it. I'm not helping anyone by letting it effect me emotionally. 4) I still need to learn when is and isn't the appropriate time to be strict, ignore certain behavior, and reinforce behavior.
ReplyDelete1) The child I have been working with has learned to play hand bells and is learning how to take turns with others. 2) My child still needs to learn that they do not always need to be first when playing games. 3) I have learned a bit more about autism and how to better communicate with someone who communicates differently than me. 4) I would still like to learn more about the different ways someone is communicating when it isn't very obvious to me. -Chelsea Goff
ReplyDeleteMy girl K has learned to not be so fearful of the water, she has actually gone in the water and started to make bubbles. We are now working on kicking and trying to swim with my help. I have learned so much by being with her. I`ve gained so much knowledge on kids with disabilities and that they are much more than we think they are. I`ve learned that she is capable of stuff that I wouldnt think she is capable of! I think still have to learn more patience, more of wanting to take things slow and one step at a time. - Ellie Lyman
ReplyDeleteMy participant has learned that the water isn't quite as scary as he thought. Next is to learn that heights aren't quite as scary as he thinks! I have learns so much from working with L at CAPES. I have learned that he is extremely intelligent which I didn't expect that first week. I have also learned that L isn't as soft as I thought. It's definitely ok to challenge him because he knows I'm right there with him! I still need to work on patience, but luckily L is patient with me trying to gain my patience!
ReplyDeleteI have noticed is doing quite well with staying focused with the checklist and being able to have him in a less busy environment. The checklist really gives him a goal to work towards and helps keep him on task which is something he struggles often with. I think C would benefit with more time in the pool, as he still struggles with his water confidence, even though this week he did amazing, purely because he had spectators to show off for. I have learned more then I believe C has from me, I've learned to have more patience and to be more direct and persistent in my direction and expectations. I have learned different techniques in which to teach in certain areas and matured in ways I can't quite pin point at this time. Areas I need to work on is my teaching technique, I struggle mostly with finding different ways to get my expectations and as well as to motivate C in a way necessary for him to achieve his goals, which I'm hoping will come with time. I know what I would like for him to do and to learn, but it's difficult to teach it as I already understand it and I'm not accustomed to teaching adequately at this point. I hope the further we get into CAPES I can find new ways to get to a point where I can greatly impact C and he can carry it on to his future. -Lucas Huffman
ReplyDeleteI was not able to make it to CAPES! this week but I am definitely still able to write on this topic. I have learned so much so far and it is such a good feeling seeing B make so much progress. 1. My child has learned the skill of floating on his back. I think this has been hard for him because he is unsure of what will happen to him. I have been able to show him that I am here for him and we have gained a trust relationship with each other. 2. I would really like him to try the rock wall by the time we are done with the program. He tries the little one, but will not get harnessed in. He is very scared of it and I hope to help him get over his fear. 3. Something I have learned through CAPES! so far, is that I need to just give things a chance before I get nervous or scared. There have been so many times where I am afraid to try something new, but when I try it, it ends up being so easy and so fun. Not judging things before you give them a chance is something I have really learned. 4. I still need to learn how to better plan. I often think that I have enough things to do, but I could definitely be more planned for the amount of time we have. I want to be able to keep B busy without getting board at all.
ReplyDeleteOverall I just want B to have lots of fun, and feel confident in the things he does. He has so much love to give and I have learned so much from him about how to treat others.
-Courtney Brannon
1: M has learned so much in the over the past 6 weeks! One of the main things that he has learned is to listen better. When CAPES first started this semester he had a hard time listening to me when I would give him instructions or show him how to complete a task. But he listens a lot better when I ask him to stay by me or I am talking to him about an activity. 2: M still needs to work on communicating. I work with him on it almost every week, so it is getting a little better. But he still tends to just want to leave and start a new activity without telling me or asking me. M tends to just want to sit down and not do the activity anymore when he gets tired of it. So I am going to continue to work with him on communicating his emotions with me. 3: I have learned that you should never underestimate what a child with a disability can do! M continues to surprise me with how smart he is! Like I have stated in my early blogs, he will run up to letters and numbers and just read them back to me clear as day! Although he doesn’t communicate very well, his letters and numbers come out clear as day! 4: I still need to learn to have a little more patience. Such as when M doesn’t exactly listen or when I do not know what is wrong when he is upset. I am doing better at it, but there is definitely room for more to be learned.
ReplyDelete-Caitlin Wiggins
CAPES has definitely been a learning experience! I think one of the biggest things C has learned is to be less hesitant around crowds. This doesn't mean he willingly will walk into a large group of people though. He is still nervous about it, but he will do it, instead of turning right around and walking away like he did previously. This is huge to me! While there is so much to do, and little lime left in CAPES, my main focus for C is to continue to make social interactions less scary, and to continue to help him improve his social skills.
ReplyDeleteSometimes we set our expectations so high, that when we fail to even come close to reaching them, we get discouraged and give up. These kids are trying so hard to function in a world that is not equipped to handle their exceptionality, and I have come to realize how overwhelming and scary it is for them. I have also learned that for C, and many of the other CAPES kids, it will be a life-long process to deal with the struggles they face, and that we can't expect huge changes to be made in the short time we have to work with them. I have learned to celebrate all of C's successes and triumphs, no matter how small, because even though they seem small to us, they are huge for him and his family! I still need to learn to have more patience in the process, and to set simple goals so that neither myself or C get frustrated.
I can't believe we only have a few weeks left, It has gone by SO fast already. I don't want it to be over! I love participating in CAPES!
Megan Jensen
DeleteI have learned so much the past 6 weeks and I definitely think R has too. The first thing R has gotten better at is swimming. At first he didn't really know what movements to make while swimming, but over the past 6 weeks he has learned how to swim both on his stomach and on his back. Another thing R has learned is how to throw. This is one of the major things his parents wanted him to work on and after doing it for a couple of weeks he has most definitely improved. He still needs to learn and work on social skills. When we are working with our group he has trouble communicating with the other kids. I think just giving him more opportunities with the other students to speak and interact is a huge way to help him learn that. I have learned just how truly awesome and special these kids are. I always thought that I was going to have more of an impact on the student then they would have on me. Little did I know I was completely wrong and R has made me view disabilities in a new light and I think, forever changed my life. I have also learned that patience really is a virtue and good things take time. They might not get it the first, second, or third time you teach something, but when they finally do it makes little victories, big ones. I still need to learn to never underestimate what R can do and to make sure I challenge him every single Tuesday at CAPES!
ReplyDeleteJesse Hover
DeleteMy CAPES! buddy has recently started to throw the basketball into the hoop instead of putting her hand over the hoop and letting go. One other thing that has been improving is her ability to walk on the polyspots facing forward instead of scooting sideways. M still needs to improve on balance and I have found a way to use something that she loves, the scooter, into moving around the gym while carrying objects, and picking things up. I would really like M to be able to roll a ball instead of just throwing it. I have learned to understand some sign language because that is the way M communicates. I have also learned how to be creative when trying to work on a certain skill. I would like to work on staying more with my activities I plan and then do the things that will still be helpful but could be more of a reward. -Kelsi Tatton
ReplyDelete1 I feel like he has learned that. It's okay to have fun and go out and be social. He was starting to pick up that he is able to make his own choices D is learning sounds and he is starting to say little words here and there but with him missing as much as he has we have not got anything going sturdy. He needs to learn that he can do thing with out someone by his side and that hr will have to do things one day with less help from people And more independently.I have learned that people with disabilities are just like everyone else they just have to work harder to get there point by and i have leaned that some times you have to let. Them show you and you don't always have to be in charge. I still need to. Learn how to be able to help them when even they cant tell you. What they need and how you can Help them with that. And that I have to be a role model to the kids and show them the way to act in public - Tyler martinez
ReplyDeleteThe biggest thing that my first kid has learned is to put his face in the water! This was a huge thing, and every week we are still progressing on it. The thing that he needs to learn is to blow bubbles. He hasn't quite grasped the concept of blowing under the water, but I know that he can do it! The main thing that my other kid has learned is to follow directions and to not give up. He can do everything I ask him to do, so it is a matter of challenging him. He gets a little side tracked and thinks he can't do certain thing that I ask of him. But, with some encouragement from myself, he has learned to work through that. Something that he has to learn still is probably just technique. He is fully capable of everything, he just needs to learn how to do it even better. The main thing that I have learned is that these kids are so much more capable than the world gives them credit for. All it takes is a little extra work, and they can do what ever they want to do. Something that I need to work on and learn more is having challenging, engaging, but also satisfying lesson plans. I want to be able to push them more, in a more affective way. -Hailey Beesley
ReplyDeleteIt is so crazy to think that 6 weeks have already gone by. T has learned how to walk up the stairs with one foot after the other. He also has learned how to go underwater and get objects. He loves the water! He needs to learn how to follow directions and more than once. For instance he will throw the ball really good once then the next one he likes to goof around and try to do something else. I have learned that giving him a certain number of times helps him follow through with what he needs to do. I have also learned that he is one of the smartest little kids. I need to still learn how to be more strict during the activities to help him follow through with what we do.
ReplyDeleteMeggen Hodson
K has learned that it is fun to be in the water and move freely around instead of being held all the time. She has also been doing an amazing job controlling her emotions and that is very exciting to see! We are still working on fine motor skills, for example our goal is to tie shoes and we have been making progress on it. Same with spelling her name. I have learned patience is key and that pictures and timers are my best friend! I still have so much to learn and sticking with my activities is one of them.
ReplyDelete-Montana Pekrins
1) J has learned how to listen to directions. During the first couple of CAPES sessions, J was disengaged and uninterested in the activities planned. He only wanted to do what he liked doing. However, as the weeks have gone by, J has shown progress in completing the activities on our to-do list. On top of this, J has gotten a lot better in letting me win. Before, J would become very upset if I scored a point or beat him in racing. Now, J lets me get some shots in sometimes, without showing anger or frustration. His sportsmanship is much better! J has also been learning to ride the bike. His balance and ability to steer himself has progressed!
ReplyDelete2) J must still learn to try out new activities in the pool. He loves to look underwater and race in the pool. Yet, he has not quite shown interest in any of the other activities I have planned for him. In addition, J is still learning teamwork. I plan to implement more lesson plans where J must work with others, more specifically other CAPES participants.
3) The CAPES program has been very beneficial - it is almost impossible to write down everything I have learned. Yet, I think the most valuable lesson I have learned thus far is my new found realization of the amazing brilliance of the human spirit. It is incredibly easy to fall victim of taking things for granted and being a selfish and ignorant individual. However, J has switched my mindset from one of seeing the glass half-empty, to a glass that is half-full. I have watched movies and read books that contain amazing, heroic characters. In spite of this, nothing beats the interactions that I am able to experience with a real-life superhero -- J! His child-like innocence is an inspiration to live my life with sincerity and purity. On top of this, J is enthusiastic and energetic, despite his disability. That alone is a constant reminder that I must not let the "little" things in life like a bad exam grade or an encounter with a rude stranger get the best of me. J seems to throw himself towards life, rather than run away from it. He finds joy in the ordinary. Also, even though J sometimes seems uninterested in certain activities, he NEVER complains. Most people grumble and whine about everything! I have never heard the slightest bit of grievance from the lips of J. During every CAPES session, I feel as though J is the teacher, and I, the student.
4) I still have to learn how to not let the tougher sessions with J discourage me. Understanding the circumstances of the situation, it is clear to see that J does not purposefully mean to sometimes be a struggle to work with. I have to work on not taking certain things personally. I also have to learn more about J. I am on a mission to learn as much about J and his disability as I can. I would like to work on what I am learning in class, and implement that into my lesson plans and instructional strategies. ~Christina Chow
1) D. has learned the benefits of working together with the others in the group. When working with others, the activates we are engaged in each week has been more fun for everyone. 2) D. still has trouble following directions and staying on task. When he follows directions the activity is more successful and fun for both him and everyone else in the group. 3) I need to continue learning about tactics to help better communicate ideas and the importance of developing a plan. 4) I still need to learn patience. Patience is important for me to ensure that I am focusing on the task at hand rather than my emotions.
ReplyDeleteS has learned to be patient with me and my lack of athletic ability. He has also learned to overcome some of his fears. I can see the determination in his eyes when he sets out to do things that he isn’t exactly comfortable with. He is fascinated with how things tie and we have been working on that and will continue to do so. He still has other fears to conquer as well. I have learned that I need to be flexible and try to come up with activities that S will enjoy. I have also learned that each child is different. You can’t plan activities based on a stereotype of previous knowledge. I still need to learn to be better prepared and get my blogposts and checklists in on time. Becky Montgomery
ReplyDeleteMy child has made a big step in the direction of being independent and not depending on her mother so much. She has also learned to communicate with others a little more than she has in the past. She still needs to learn to follow directions and play by the rules. I have learned that patience is a Requirement and every child needs a patient adult in their life in order to help them learn new skills.I also need to learn better behavior management skills that are more efficient and effective than some of the others strategies I use. -Shelbi Linsley
ReplyDeleteMy child has learned quite a bit, I would think! She has really learned how to open up to me, and also paying better attention to when I, or her grandmother, will give her directions. I have never heard her talk so much! Even though she is getting better at it, she still needs to learn better at her 3-point directions. She has a hard time remember directions that we give her. She also still needs to learn to keep a better attention span when we are doing an activity. A gets pretty bored quickly. I, myself, have learned to grow a better patience working with her. It taught me that I actually can handle these kind of situations a lot better then I thought I could! I think I still need to learn how to keep a better conversation with her, because I get side-tracked easily...but I am getting better at it! -Feliza Martineau
ReplyDelete